The University of Hull invested £16 million into creating a world-class sporting hub, including a new international sports arena, sports pavilion and a state-of-the-art gym.
The projected included construction of 12-court sports arena the Allam Sport Centre, sports pavilion with 3G pitches and a fully refurbished, state-of-the-art fitness gym.
The Allam Sport Centre
The Allam Sport Centre is an innovatively designed 12-court international standard sports arena with seating for 700 spectators. It has been carefully designed by Space Architects to create an attractive and unique sports arena that makes full use of natural lighting. At night, the south side of the hall is lit with 3,500 LEDs which can create many colours and effects.
Some key features include:
- The sports arena has the third largest Junkers elastic sports floor in the UK
- The building is designed to be fully inclusive with facilities catering for wheelchair sports teams and other individual requirements
- The polycarbonate exterior has a subtle pattern of opal and crystal panels that create a feeling of movement and alter the building’s appearance according to the changing sunlight
- Innovative use of polycarbonate and panelling inside the hall enhances background light, significantly reducing the amount of artificial lighting used during daylight
largest Junkers elastic sports floor
Seats for spectators at the Allam Sports Centre
The project team from Henry Boot worked closely with both the University Estates and Sport Team to deliver a world-class facility that works well for the end user, their team were always accommodating and keen to understand the build from the customer perspective.
Steve Curtis, Partnership & Project Manager (Sport), University of Hull
The newly constructed pavilion further enhances sports facilities at its Cottingham Road campus, alongside refurbishment of two existing 3G pitches. The new pavilion facilities include:
- Eight team changing rooms including those for officials
- Teaching/meeting rooms,
- Storage areas
- Kitchen facilities
- Physiotherapy/first aid rooms
Gym and fitness studios
Following completion of The Allam Sport Centre, we remodelled the existing Grade II listed sports arena into a huge 600m² state-of-the-art fitness gym with multiple studios and changing facilities. The building has been re-roofed, with new electrical installation and natural ventilation provided throughout. The project maximises the use of the existing sports building ensuring the highest possible standard of facilities.