The new 10,000 sq. ft. garden centre enables Dobbies to offer its wide range of services to customers, whilst taking steps to reduce their environmental impact and improve sustainability. Many innovative measures were introduced on this project, minimising waste and increasing recycling of materials.
The scheme included a £2 million fit out programme with extensive civil engineering works over the last six weeks of the project, including resurfacing the nearby golf course and adjoining road. The two storey entrance incorporated ‘floating’ glazing and glulam columns with exposed glulam beams.
The development will provide a high quality garden centre and retail offer, combined with an enjoyable leisure experience in its own right.
James Barnes, Chief Executive, Dobbies Garden Centres
The facilities include:
- 13 dedicated retail units
- 340 seat restaurant with coffee bar and outdoor terrace
- Farm foods hall
- Specialist aquatics department
- External landscaping
- Parking for over 600 cars
Waste materials recycled
In the initial design stage, the team maintained an excellent client relationship to successfully overcome initial challenges surrounding new materials and systems. Throughout the project, collaborative working ensured the complex scheme could complete on time.
Innovative measures implemented:
- A cut and fill rationalisation to reduce material removed from the site, generating substantial savings for the client
- Installation of a grey water storage system, providing recycled water for toilets and for the extensive irrigation system
- Use of segregated skips on site to facilitate removal of materials
- Soil stabilisation techniques used on 10,000 m² of land, following flooding in the area
You may also be interested in...
Part of The Glass Works, the existing Metropolitan Centre required refurbishment, as since construction in 1972 the building had undergone several layout changes and had become outdated and cramped.
Fox Valley, Stocksbridge
The Fox Valley retail project is a master redevelopment of the former 28-acre Outokumpu steelworks site in Stocksbridge, which brings a new commercial heart to the area, creating up to 900 jobs in the community.
Snowhill Retail Park
The large new Snowhill commercial development project for Kier Property Developments consists of ten units across a six-acre site, situated adjacent to the Paragon Business Park. With extensive landscaping and car parking for 250 vehicles, the site presents shopping convenience to thousands of local customers.